Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"This database cannot be read due to an invalid on disk structure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekbabe

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
CA
I get this message when trying to access the servers address book (names.nsf) locally from the Notes server. I'm running Notes 4.5.1 on Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP4). I can access the database from my workstation without problems. I've also noticed that replication between the two Notes servers has stopped.

is there enough diskspace on the box?

run fixup -F and or compact to fix the database

Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet

Thanks, I have run both the fixup and compact tools with no luck. I have tons of space on the drive, it is an 18GIG drive with 9GIG of free space. I've taken a Ghost image of the drive and will replace it with another to see if it is a physical disk problem.

User is getting the following error message when trying to open her Local Mail in Notes - "The database can not be read due to an invalid on disk structure."

Had the user do the following -

Workaround is to remove the database's icon from the Notes workspace. You may encounter one or two additional dialog boxes stating that the database cannot be read, however, you should be able to remove the icon once clearing the error boxes. Once the icon has been removed, add the icon to the workspace again. You may then be allowed to open the database.

Removing the icon from the workspace and adding it again might work too.

Also try compacting your workspace. (open the property box for your workspace and go to the Info tab, and click compact. I've seen this fix numerous weird problems regarding accessing databases in R4. (this seems to be less effective in R5 for some reason)

(even more drastic would be to close out the client, and remove both desktop.dsk and cache.dsk.
those will be recreated when you launch the client again (but you will have to add all icons again).

good luck Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back