Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"There was an error reading the Switchboard Items table" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

uscitizen

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
i have x-posted this query to the Access Tables forum since it seems to have its origins in each

basically i have created a fledgling s/board using the Switchboard Manager and on attempting to use the s/b am confronted with a single button telling me there are no s/b items on this page!! clicking on the menu button results in the message in my heading. i'm inexpert enough not to know whether there is or isn't anything fundamentally awry with the table they're talking about. also, i am able to create new and/or modify existing s/b commands using the s/b manager even though on attempting to use the s/b i get this anomalous behavior.

anyone out there have this kind of thing meet up w/ 'em? i'd sure appreciate a way out of it.

“The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." --- Abraham Lincoln

Hi

I would suspect you have no rows in the switchboard table, AND/OR you do not have a default row declared

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

It sounds like you have not previously instructed the switchboard as to which forms to open. The code under a switchboard is somewhat obscure in the interests of automation. Look at the code and place msgbox 'markers' in various spots to help underestand what is going on. For instance, in the on_open event of a form put

MsgBox "I just opened form 'SAM'"

and so forth!

rollie@bwsys.net

hi ken reay:

my s/b table currently looks like this:

SwitchboardID ItemNumber ItemText Command Argument
1 0 Main Switchboard Default
2 0 MENU PAGE # 1 0
2 1 Enter Protocol ID and Title 3 DOCUMENTS
2 2 Enter Authors 3 AUTHORS
2 3 Enter Pulications 3 PUBLICATIONS
2 4 Enter Correlative Studies 3 CORRELATIVE_STUDIES
2 5 Enter Collections 3 COLLECTIONS
2 6 Enter Trial Comments 3 TRIAL_COMMENTS
2 7 Go To Page # 2 1 3
2 8 Exit Application 6
3 0 MENU PAGE # 2 0
3 1 Enter Patient ID and Demographics 3 PATIENTS
3 2 Enter Patient's Race 3 PATIENT_RACES
3 3 Enter Baseline Abnormalities 3 BASELINE_ABNORMALITIES
3 4 Enter Prior Therapies 3 PRIOR_THERAPIES
3 5 Enter Treatment Courses 3 TREATMENT_COURSES
3 6 Enter Course Agents 3 COURSE_AGENTS
3 7 Go To Next Page (# 3) 1 4
3 8 Go To Prior Page (# 2) 1 3
4 0 MENU PAGE # 3 0
4 1 Enter Adverse Events 3 ADVERSE_EVENTS
4 2 Enter Late Adverse Events 3 LATE_ADVERSE_EVENTS
4 3 Enter Phase 1 End Points 3 PHASE1_END_POINTS
4 4 Enter Phase 1 End Points DLTs 3 PHASE1_END_POINTS_DLTS
4 5 Go To Prior Page (# 2) 1 3
4 6 Go To Main Page (# 1) 1 2

which 'may not do it justice' given the spacing, however i would think that there are rows in it and a default declared

“The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." --- Abraham Lincoln

Hi

OK I agree you have rows and a default, but you main menu (ie switchboard 1) has no options on it

Regards

Ken Reay

hi ken reay:

this looks like a red star in the making, but....

mind you, i've not really much of a clue as to what step(s) to take to repair the alleged cause of my s/b's woes.

HI

well I cannot be exact, since oly you know what you want on the menu, but something like

1 1 MenuPage 1 1 2
2 0 MENU PAGE # 1 0
2 1 Enter Protocol ID and Title 3 DOCUMENTS
2 3 Enter Pulications 3 PUBLICATIONS
2 5 Enter Collections 3 COLLECTIONS

Regards

Ken Reay

Still not quite understanding the 'theme', I deleted the mdb file and reverted to an earlier version sans s/b. I invoked the S/B mgr and created the beginnings of my three s/b menu system....defined eight menu items on the solitary first page at at which point I tested and am still getting the same weird message.

The s/b items table (a little less ambitious than the last) is below for this current s/b

2 0 Page_1 0
2 1 Enter Protocol ID & Title 3 DOCUMENTS
2 3 Enter Collections 3 COLLECTIONS
2 5 Enter Publications 3 PUBLICATIONS
2 6 Enter Trial Comments 3 TRIAL_COMMENTS
2 7 Go To Next Page (# 2) 1 3
2 8 Exit Applications 6
3 0 Page_2 0
4 0 Page_3 0

Hi

What you need to look at is the function of the column "Command", this tells the switch board if it is to open a form, a report, or go to another switchboard 'page' see the code for the routine HandleButtonClick and all should become clear

Regards

Ken Reay

Stop the Presses! I think the sun's managed to seep in and my problem's solved. Many thanks to all but especially Ken Rea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back