Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"There was a problem sending the command to the program"-Word 07

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrayc

MIS
Jan 5, 2012
US
Hello all,

I have a user who was set up with a new windows 7 computer (actually an ex-Vista machine bought from a refurbisher) with Office 2007 Professional Plus installed. Whenever the user tries to open a Word document, Word hangs at the splash screen for 5-10 minutes, then shows an error window stating "There was a problem sending the command to the program." This would happen no matter how Word was opened, be it their Word shortcut on their desktop, a shortcut to a Word document, opening the file in its original location (Computer or Windows Explorer), or attempting to open Word itself. It happens with all Word documents. I tried Detect and Repair, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Office, but had no success. I found several solutions on Microsoft forums and a detailed knowledge base article (KB921541) and worked through the steps. When I removed the Word registry entries, Word started working again. This morning, the user had gone to change their monitor settings to the 125% size option under Display in the Control Panel and rebooted when prompted. While attempting to open Outlook on their taskbar, they accidentally clicked on a Word document shortcut instead. Lo and behold, the original symptoms appeared. None of the previous troubleshooting steps worked this time, including going through the rest of that knowledge base article (including renaming the Normal template), but still no luck. The computer came with OpenOffice installed, and the Word documents can be opened with OpenOffice writer. All other MS Office programs work normally, only Word is affected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

you might want to check which thread you are posting in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back