Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"There was a error when shrinking a file"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickIstre

MIS
May 9, 2002
US
I am running Dynamics V6.0 on Pervasive 2000i SP4. When shrinking files, I get the (very descriptive) error that there was an error when shrinking a file. This seems to happen to quite a few tables in our system. Strangely, the tables themselves don't seem damaged, and we can report off of them, rebuild them or check links them, but not Shink them.

I'd rather not call Microsoft for support (costing some money) just so they tell us to &quot;restore from the last good backup&quot; or something to that degree >:-< .

I'm doing this because some of our reports are taking much longer to run, and I figure that it was about time for a bit of maintenance on the tables.

Anybody have any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks,

Zitch

You will need to change your Communication Buffer Size settings in your Pervasive.SQL 2000 Control Center to the recommended setting. These are the guidlines from Microsoft Great Plains for setting up Pervasive.SQL 2000i service Pack 3 and 4...

There are quite a few changes with SP3. The following are settings that are no longer available in Pervasive.SQL 2000i because they are dynamically allocated by the Microkernel engine: Active Clients, Logical File Handles, Number of Sessions, Maximum Open files and Extended Operation Buffer Size. Many of these settings will no longer appear in the Pervasive Control Center on SP3.

Additionally, Pervasive has standardized all the settings in the Control Center to be in bytes, which may lead to the erroneous assumption that the settings have increased dramatically. For a detailed description of these settings, please refer to the Pervasive.SQL 2000i whatsnew.pdf.

For this TechKnowledge to apply, you must be on Pervasive.SQL 2000i SP3 which is build 7.90.230 or Pervasive.SQL 2000i SP4. If you are not on Pervasive.SQL 2000i SP3 or SP4, please refer to the Techknowledge Document #7273 'Recommended Settings for Pervasive.SQL 2000 SP1 and SP2A'. The following are the build numbers of all Pervasive.SQL 2000 releases. To find the version you can go to Start - Programs - Pervasive - Pervasive.SQL 2000 - Utilities - Monitor. Once in the Monitor, choose Help - About.

Pervasive.SQL 2000 (no SP) 7.50 Build 146
Pervasive.SQL 2000 (SP1) 7.51 Build 154
Pervasive.SQL 2000 (SP2) 7.80 Build 195
Pervasive.SQL 2000 (SP2a) 7.80 Build 198
Pervasive.SQL 2000i (SP3) 7.90 Build 230
Pervasive.SQL 2000i (SP4) 7.94 Build 251*

*Service Pack 4 is an ENGINES ONLY patch. In a multi-user environment, Service Pack 4 is only installed on the server. In a single-user environment, Service Pack 4 is installed on the workstation where the Pervasive.SQL 2000i single-user workstation engine is installed.

*Service Pack 4 will not appear in the Pervasive Monitor. To verify that Service Pack 4 is loaded, you will want to use the steps below to find the version and build in the registry.

If you are not able to launch Pervasive.SQL 2000 Monitor, you can also find the version in the windows Registry. Use the follow steps to view the Pervasive.SQL 2000 version from the registry.

**Warning** If a mistake is made on any of the instructions listed below, you may not be able to restart your system. If you are not familiar with the Registry, please seek assistance from Microsoft or your local Microsoft support representative. Microsoft can be reached at 1-800-426-9400.

Important: Back up your Windows system before making these changes. It is also important to create a new Emergency Repair Disk.

1. Go to Start - Run, type 'regedit' in the open box, choose OK.

2. Double click on:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Pervasive Software
Products
Pervasive.SQL 2000
InstallInfo

3. You will see a &quot;BuildLevel&quot; and a &quot;VersionLevel&quot;. See above for the
corresponding service packs for each.

Pervasive.SQL 2000i parameters can be viewed and changed from the Control Center.

To open the control Center, go to Start - Programs - Pervasive - Pervasive Control Center.

Click on the Plus sign next to Pervasive.SQL 2000i Engines.
Click on the Plus sign next to the Server name.
Click on the Plus sign next to Configuration.
Click on the Plus sign next to Server.
Note: To connect to a Netware server, right-click on Pervasive.SQL 2000i Engines and choose Register New Engine. Then browse to the Netware server and make sure it tests ok and then choose the OK button. If you have difficulties opening up the Configuration Utility on a Netware server, please refer to Techknowledge Document #7703 'Login Failed Message in the Configuration Utility on a Netware Server'.

Recommended Server Settings for Pervasive.SQL 2000i (SP3) and (SP4).

1 or 10 user
30 user

Communication Buffer Size

Communication Buffer Size

MKDE Communication Buffer Size

Communication Protocols

Supported Protocols
*Specify One
*Specify One

Data Integrity

Transaction Durability
Off
Off

Performance Tuning

Cache Allocation

*It is recommended to only specify the ONE protocol that is being utilized on the network. For an NT/2000 server, you should choose either the Microsoft TCP/IP or Microsoft SPXII. For a Netware server, you should choose either the Netware TCP/IP or Netware SPXII.

Once these settings have been changed, go to Edit - Apply to save the changes. The Pervasive services must then be stopped and started for the changes to take effect.

Windows NT - The engine can be restarted in 2 ways:

Go to the Control Panel - Services and find the Pervasive.SQL 2000 Transactional and Relational Services. Both services must be stopped and then restarted in any order.
Open the Pervasive.SQL 2000i Control Center, right-click on the Server name and choose Tasks - Restart Pervasive Services.
Windows 2000 - The engine can be restarted in 2 ways:

Go to Start - Programs - Administrative Tools - Services and find the Pervasive.SQL 2000 Transactional and Relational Services. Both services must be stopped and then restarted in any order.
Open the Pervasive.SQL 2000i Control Center, right-click on the Servername and choose Tasks - Restart Pervasive Services.
Novell/Netware - The engine can only be stopped in one way:

Go to the server console or through an Rconsole session and type in MGRSTOP and then BSTOP. The MGRSTOP command may take some time to unload. To restart the services, all that is necessary is the MGRSTART command.

Single-User Workstation - The engine can be restarted 1 way:

1. Right- click on the Pervasive Preload Icon in the System Tray and choose Stop Engines
and Exit. Then go to Start - Programs - Pervasive - Pervasive.SQL 2000i -
Engines - Pervasive.SQL Workstation Engine to start the engine. The icon should
now appear again in the System Tray.

Recommended Client Settings for Pervasive.SQL 2000i (SP3).

At the Pervasive Client Workstations, open the Control Center by going to Start - Programs - Pervasive - Pervasive Control Center.

Click on the Plus sign next to Pervasive.SQL 2000i Engines.
Click on the Plus sign next to the Workstation name.
Click on the Plus sign next to Configuration.
Click on the Plus sign next to Client.

Single-User
Multi-User

Access

Use Local MicroKernel Engine
ON
OFF

Use Remote MicroKernel Engine
OFF
ON

Communication Protocols

Supported Protocols
NO CHANGE
*Select One

*It is recommended to only specify the ONE protocol that is being utilized on the network. For Windows clients, you should choose either the Microsoft TCP/IP or Microsoft SPXII.

Once these settings have been changed, go to Edit - Apply to save the changes and close the Pervasive Control Center. The Pervasive services DO NOT have to be re-started for the client settings to take effect.

Additional Notes:

1. If you have more than one network card installed on the server, you can enable
TCP/IP Multi-homed support. This will allow the Microkernel engine to listen for
client connections on all network cards. This is found under the Server -
Communication Protocols - TCP/IP Multi-homed in the Pervasive Control Center.

2. If you are experiencing sporadic network disconnections, you can enable the Pervasive
Auto-Reconnect feature. To enable the Auto-Reconnect feature, complete the
following steps.

Server
1. In the Pervasive Control Center, click on the Plus sign next to Pervasive.SQL
2000i Engines.
2. Click on the Plus sign next to the Server name.
3. Click on the Plus sign next to Configuration.
4. Click on the Plus sign next to Server.
5. Click on Communication Protocols.
6. Double-click on Enable Auto-Reconnect.
7. Choose ON and choose OK.
8. Choose Edit - Apply and re-start the Pervasive.SQL 2000 Engines.

Client
1. In the Pervasive Control Center, click on the Plus sign next to Pervasive.SQL
2000i Engines.
2. Click on the Plus sign next to the Workstation name.
3. Click on the Plus sign next to Configuration.
4. Click on the Plus sign next to Client.
5. Click on Communication Protocols.
6. Double-click on Enable Auto-Reconnect.
7. Choose ON and choose OK.
8. Choose Edit - Apply to save the Client settings.

3. For the Cache Allocation setting, the default on an NT server is approximately
20% of the system RAM and for Netware it's approximately 30% of the system RAM.
It is perfectly acceptable to leave these settings at the defaults which allows the
Microkernel to reserve memory for it's exclusive use in case it needs it. The
recommended settings for Cache Allocation are given in response to Partner/Customer
requests that Pervasive.SQL 2000 not reserve such a large amount of system RAM.

4. It is recommended to leave the Number of Sessions setting at the default. For more
information on how Pervasive calculates what the Number of Sessions setting defaults
to, please refer to the Whatsnew.pdf file for Pervasive.SQL 2000i (SP3). You can also
find this .pdf file by going to Start - Programs - Pervasive - Pervasive.SQL 2000i -
Documentation - What's New.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back