Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildeer

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
I'm getting the following msg: "The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again." Problem is that I checked the connection by hot syncing my boyfriends palm lllc to see if it was the serial port or connection(we have the same models)and his works fine. I notice when the hot sync starts that it doesn't show a user name for mine (it does show his user name on the other) but I have that all set up like I did before when it worked...any suggestions? Maybe I need to figure why it's not showing MY user name when it syncs?? %-)

I got a "used" PalmV that showed another users name and wouldn't sync my Palm Desktop items until I did a "Hard Reset" on the PalmV and then set it up again. All is Great now! Here's how:

To perform a hard reset:

1. First put the Palm on its cradle and try to HotSync the current configuration.

2. After the HotSync operation, hold down the green power button on the Palm's front panel. While holding down the power button, use the tip of a paper clip to gently press the Reset button.

3. You should see a warning on the Palm screen that all data is about to be erased. Press the "scroll up" button on the Palm's front panel to complete the hard reset.

4. After the hard reset is completed, right-click the HotSync manager on your Windows desktop. Choose Custom and change all of the conduit settings to "Desktop overwrites handheld." Place the Palm on the cradle and press the HotSync button. After the HotSync operation is completed, change the setting for each Custom HotSync conduit back to "Synchronize" or press the Default button.

Look in Outlook. There is a note with the user name in it. Change the name and you're all set. No Hard Reset needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back