Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"tar is bad" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackos

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
GB
Trying to install some software via software manager, but keep getting "tar is bad" error.

Anyone know why this might be?

file in question is SGI Quake.

Thanks!

I saw this once when I installed different sets of GNU freeware from the SGI site. Irix has a version of tar (in /sbin, I believe) that doesn't support the same set of command line options (-z for gzip tars, -j for bzip2 tars) that GNU tar does. I believe I had an incompatible version of glibc installed for the installed version of GNU tar, and the GNU /usr/freeware/bin directory was earlier than /sbin in the path, which triggered the 'tar is bad' error.

There are several options: make sure GNU tar and glibc are in sync; force the use of Irix tar (since you're using the software manager) by removing any references to other versions of tar from the path; or manually extracting the tardist that you're trying to install into a working directory with gunzip and some form of working tar, and then pointing the software manager to the working directory instead of the tardist.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back