Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Start" Field in Import Specification Dialog Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintAugustine

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
US
Another access question - after trying the TransferSpreadsheet function, I got error #2391, "Field 'F1' doesn't exist in destination table.' I checked the Microsoft knowledge base, and it instructed me to create an "import specification."

So I'm trying to do that (basically, import&convert a text file, click on the "Advanced" button, change the field formats and names to what you want them to be, save the import specification, and cancel out of the import process - then you can use it from within your macro).

But, I'm getting error messages saying "Field X overlaps with Field Y." I did some Googling, and apparently this is a problem with the "Start" fields in the "import specification" dialog box, and it takes some fiddling to make it work - but I can't figure out what the heck this column does. I'm not "fiddling" so much as "fumbling blindly" - can anyone explain this field to me?

Tnx

If you're importing a text file, you should be using
TransferText, not TransferSpreadSheet.

"Field X overlaps with Field Y," means that you have
2 fields in your specification that are "sharing"
columns, e.g.

FIELD START END
eacct 1 16
chname 15 26
addr1 43 26
addr2 69 26
city 95 18
state 113 2
zip 115 9

In this example, eacct and chname overlap, since eacct
ends in col 16 but chname starts in col 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back