Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Standard" Error Message Codes/Numbers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinOne

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
I'm looking for a public web-site, etc. that has a soft-copy list of the common/standard (ANSI?), platform-agnostic error message numbers/codes and their meanings/descriptions.

I need to email/share it with the help desk at another location.

A quick search did not turn one up. Does anybody know of one?

Thanks,

Austin

AFAIK, error messages and codes are all vendor-specific (and, in many cases, aren't even standard across a single vendor's products).

The closest thing to "standard" are the "standard" file status codes. Of course there are vendor specific file status codes too. Of course the file status codes differ by ANSI standard version, so you have to know which ANSI compiler version was used for the product.

Regards,

Glenn

OK, it's the "standard" file status codes list - that's what I meant. For example, a 41 is a "Corrupt Index File" and a 65 is a "File Locked" (by another user).

I'm thinking there's a standard list, or a portion of it, that's the same across all vendors, so they'll be compliant with the "standard".

Looking forward to hearing some more responses on this...

OK, I did a search on "file status", and I came across this same question with an answer in thread209-853262.
However, if anyone has a "better" list, please let me know...

Thanks,

Austin

I have posted a FAQ of all the standard FILE STATUS Codes. It is I believe complete.

AustinOne,

From what I've seen you are not likely to get a much "better" list of Cobol File Status codes than the one on the SimoTime website, referred to from the thread answer you mentioned. In fact, I thought it was pretty well done!

I'd be surprised if you find anything "better" except perhaps in the reference materials specific to your version/installation of Cobol.

Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

The SimoTime list is vendor specific. It does have a list of "standard" file staus codes, which is identical to my list. My list, however, is COBOL source code and can be included in a program, or turned into a copybood. (BTW, permission is hereby granted to do so.)

Although there was already a FAQ with a "copy-book" of file status codes for "traditional" ('85 Standard) COBOL, I have now added a FAQ with (all the excruciating) details of "standard" file status codes from the '02 Standard.

This includes new
- 0x *> implementor defined succesful
- file-sharing / record-locking

and some others.

Bill Klein

Bill, I was not aware that a standard had been finally issued for 'o2. Where can I find a copy (for programmers, not compiler writers)?

May I include the data from your FAQ in my copybook?

Yes, you may include the info in your copy book.

So far, there have been NO "conforming" implementations created by any vendor.

I don't know of any "programmer oriented" books. (Actually, there is one, but it is in Dutch <G>).

Some day, I'll update the FAQ with all the information about it.

Bill Klein

Thanks, and keep up the good work! This one deserves a star, no doubt one of many to add to your accumulating collection of stars...

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back