Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"set" operators other than UNION

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalebeitz

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
Greetings!

I have a database that tracks salesman daily activities, ie, calling on customers.

tblMaster holds information about one salesman and day
tblDetail holds information about each customer call that ocurred on a given day.
tblSalesman holds salesman information
tblCustomer holds customer information
tblAssign links customers to their assigned salesmen

What I'm trying to do is write a query that lists all customers who have NOT been called on by a given salesman within a range of dates. I'm more familiar with Oracle than I am with Access, and (ignoring the dates for simplicity) I'd do this in Oracle as follows:

Select CustID from tblAssign
where SalesmanID = 7
MINUS
select distinct tblDetail.CustID from tblMaster, tblDetail
where tblMaster.SalesmanID = 7
tblMaster.DayID = tblDetail.DayID

The idea here is that the first select statement lists all customers assigned to a salesman, the second lists all customers called on by that salesman, and the MINUS operator performs a set subtraction on the two result sets, returning the list of customers not called on. How would I do this in Access? From what I've been able to find, Access only supports UNION as a set operator.

Thanks in advance!
Dale Beitz
muza@myne.com

Have you tried joining the Assign table on Master table by Salesman ID, and Master and Detail on Day? Selecting where SalesmanID <> 7?

Could you do something like this?

The inner query will return a list of customers the
Saleman visited on day 10. The outter query brings back everyone else the salesman is assigned to.

Select
A.CustID
from
tblAssign A
where
((A.SalesmanID = 7)
AND
(A.CustID Not In(select
B.CustID
from
tblMaster B
where
((B.SalesmanID = A.SalesmanID)
AND
(B.DayID = 10)))) CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

per CharlesCookdotcom, just replace the &quot;MINUS&quot; with &quot;Not In&quot;. &quot;in&quot; your original query.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back