Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Server is not accessible" error, XP Pro connecting to Win 2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbialo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
US
I am having diffulties with connecting an XP pro workstation to our only Windows 2K server. The error that comes up when trying to connect to the server is: "\\Server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The user is not allowed to log on from this workstation."

I'm able to log on to the domain and see the server as well as connect to other computers on the domain, but the server C drive is not accessible for some reason. I have checked permissions and have full access to the drive for the two accounts on the XP pro machine. I'm missing something somewhere and not sure where to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ken Bialo
Acme Metal Works, Inc.

is this a domain network or workgroup? try to add everyone first. if this works, double check the permission.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Yes, this is a domain network. Have added everyone and double checked permissions and still having the same issue with connecting. I heard the work around on this is to remove the account from the domain and add as a different workstation. Is this the only way or is there a way to keep the workstation name intact?

Thanks in advance!

Is the built in XP Pro firewall disabled? I had this problem because the firewall wasn't allowing the PC to join the domain

Yes, the XP firewall was disabled. Haven't re-enabled it until I can get a connection.

Try logging in as an administrator on the workstation then join the domain.

I am already logged in as a member of the domain. I can see all computers on the domain, but I cannot access the server folders. I have given my accounts on the XP machine administrative privileges on the domain and server. I don't understand why I can't get into the domain off of this workstation. Any more comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Make sure there aren't any deny permsissions( file/folder/group policy) setup for the user account or the OU that workstation is linked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back