Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Select * from view" takes a very long time,on second attempt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

billo102

Technical User
Mar 2, 2009
GB
oracle database 11g
IBM AIX 6.1

Running a select * from a view takes just a few minutes and produces 60K rows. When running the same query for a second time, it appears to hang. It's actually progressing in the background but taking a very long time.
The view is quite complex, many joins/sorts etc, and hits a list of tables. Seems to be hitting columns on tables that are not indexed also and so there's several full table scans etc.

We're under the impression it should run quicker the second time round if anything. Our question is , why would it be a lot slower on subsequent retries ? The explain plan seems to change, how can this happen?

when issuing the *rule* hint with the select statement, the command executes quickly each time, but this is not supported in 11g so cannot be used.

Ah Fred !
Fair play to you, thanks for the response (small world!)

I did remember the SQL PLan management tool from last year or so when we discussed it. I've already started giving it a go, so I'll see if that solves the problem.
On first execution I need to 'manually' load the plan to the dba_sql_plan_baselines table. It should always use that plan then on subsequent retries.

I also tried using the FIRST_ROWS hint rather than the RULE hint and it also seemed to make an improvement. I suppose the confusion here was why does the CBO get it right the first time but gets it so wrong the second. Sometimes it's not even the second time but 3rd or 4th.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back