Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Scandisk encountered data error while reading the FAT..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
US
This is a new one to me:

"Scandisk encountered a data error while reading
the FAT on drive C. This error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive."

This comes up on a newly installed Windows 98 machine, with a brand new HD, that had been working fine until a recent lockup. The user shut off the PC and rebooted. When it came back up it stopped and stayed at the Window logo screen for several minutes. Repeated normal bootups yield the same result.
I had the user boot into safe mode, and scandisk automatically begins checking C:, then stops and displays the above error. It HAS been able to complete a scan of D: OK.
I've done a search on the net, and so far solutions range from simply running scandisk from Windows safe mode GUI, all the way to reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows.
Anyone else had any experience with this one?

I have had similar problems myself and the only solution I could come up with was to reformat with the /u switch and my drive worked again. To be on the safe side check out fdisk first and see if that displays an error with the partition.

DOS's Scandisk can sometimes do better . Invoke your Start-up menu (Toggle F8 or press Ctrl key during bootup), choose Command prompt only (NOT Safe mode Command prompt), then at the C: prompt , type Scandisk /all & press Enter .
When finished , type win & press Enter .

Or , fdisk /mbr .

Well, haven't gotten this licked yet.
I couldn't get to a command prompt booting off the HD. After I selected it from the menu, the cursor just skipped to the next line, and blinked.
I tried booting from a startup disk, and tried running scandisk from A:, but I get the same scandisk error.
I also tried "fdisk /mbr", with no change.
There wasn't anything irreplaceable on C:, so I tried formatting it. It went ok until about 2%, then it was replaced with a message saying something like "Recoving allocation data 16,210" The 5 digit number changed every 20-30 seconds to an incrementallly larger number, and it once briefly it went back to the % count, only to revert to the "recovering..." message.
I tried deleting the partition completely, recreating it, and formatting, but it did the same thing.
I'm convinced I got a bum HD, and am taking it back for a replacement. I'd still entertain any other thoughts on this...

No, I think you've hit it on the head. When scandisk starts trying to recover clusters it is time to replace the hardware. Chances are something went bad on the drive which caused the initial lockup so it was not the dirty restart that casued the problem, rather the problem caused the lockup.

jaeddy is absolutely right. It is far easier to replace the drive then wait for allocation recoveries believe me! We tested that theory and the pc ran for almost 10 hours straight and then would give an unrecoverable error message. Drives are cheap now anyhow.

I found a bootable disk checking/repairing utility on Western Digital's website. I ran it on this HD and sure enough it found "unrepairable errors" on it. It generated an error code and a phone number to call for support, but since the drive was still under warranty from the place I bought it, I just exchanged it for a new one. No problems with it...yet. ;]
Thanks for your input guys.

just a thought...have you thought about converting to FAT32 instead of FAT. theres a program called partition magic that could convert it quick and may help with errors.

Thanks pgwolf, I was using the term "FAT" in a general sense, not to imply I was using FAT16 (sometimes called "FAT"). I had been using FAT32 the whole time.
In my case, the problem was in the low level formatting of the disk, something not even the OEM repair utility could fix.
Sorry about the confusion.

OK, Is it a Western Digital HD? I know they have a utility that will write 0's to the disk than you can reformat it.

Yes, it was a WD, and I did use their "Lifeguard" disk utility. It couldn't repair the disk errors. I could have called WD's tech support, but since it was brand new, I just took it back rather than messing around with a possible defective drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back