Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Run As" window when launching apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiserweight

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2002
KH
Out of the blue my xp pro box started popping up a window that is titled "Run As" whenver i try to launch most programs. It ask the quetion 'Which user account do you want to use to run the program?' Current user (LOCALHOST/me) and then a check box which says 'protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity...

Can anyone tell me what the hell this is, why it is ther and how to tunr it off/on.

cheers

The 'run as' function allows administrative type tasks to be run within a limited user's profile. For more info, use xp's Help & Support to look for runas. As for why your computer does this now...

Have you changed your account to limited user capabilities? Also, find a program or shortcut that exhibts this behavior, then right click on the shortcut, Properties, in the Shortcut tab, select the Advanced button, is 'Run with different credentials' checked?

All this is suggesting you run normally with the admin profile...which everyone will tell you not to do. (prolly even in the Help Files)
If this is the case, create a user profile for surfing/email/non admin type usage...and leave the admin profile for troubleshooting/installing/configuring and the like. This guards against accidentally starting malicious code and limits (hopefully) the damage it can do. Too, IF someone hacks you (movie scenario LOL) they'll be up against the limited ability of the account.
Enabling fast user switching will speed up when you want to change...

Thanks. Out of the blue was misleading. I ran regCleaner and it must have deleted a key that caused this. Put all the changes back and now the window is gone and everything back to normal. I do usually run as Admin. I know I shouldn't. One of these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back