Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Roaming Profile" is greyed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardkng

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Running a w2k domain, with w2k clients, from control panel -> System - > user profiles (on the clients), when I go to make a profile "roaming" its greyed out, and I am unable to select it. So "local" remains the selected option.

Why?

Its different profiles on different clients, I have taken ownership, and reset permissions on all child objects, but its still greyed out...

I think the problem is that when you changed pdcs all your domain sids
changed, or something like that, and the profile has a 'permitted to use'
setting that indicates which users are allowed to access the profile.
to change the 'permitted to use', go to My Computer->User Profiles, select
the profile you want to set, click the Copy To button, and then set the
copy-to location to the root directory of that users roaming profile and
set the permitted to use field to a domain user name or everyone.

Ok, maybe I dont understand or I didnt explain properly.

I have 3 workstations, a domain controller, and a NAS device (stores the profiles), a user gets his proper profile on 2 of the 3 workstations, but, on both of them, its showing as a local profile. On the one workstation that does show its a roaming profile, its not the same profile.

On this machine that shows roaming, but its not "his" profile, windows was reinstalled recently, and never got his proper profile off the server.

So, im trying to get all three machines to get his proper roaming profile, but I think the one on the server is the new one, not the old one. So what I need to do, is get the correct copy of his profile (off one of the other two workstations), and copy it to the server. So I did that tonight, copied his local profile from one of the machines he said was the right profile, and copied it to the profile folder on the server.

I go to the server, and its not showing that I modified it at the proper time and date.

How best to fix this?

Just drag and drop his profile folder off one of the workstations onto the server (cause "Copy too" didnt work), then verify that its the right one, and delete his profile off every workstation, leaving only the copy on the server?

I cant just go to the workstations with the correct profile and select "Change type -> Roaming profile" cause roaming is greyed out. The only ones that I have the option to change, are those that are already set to roaming. Those that show "local", have roaming greyed out.

I tried taking ownership, and resetting all permissions on the suspect profile folder, but "roaming" is still greyed out.

Would "flush profiles" fix this from happening again?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back