Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Resource Conflict Error" at Boot Presario 1200xl111

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMPMICRO

Vendor
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Randomly I get "ERROR" Resource Conflict"
"PCI on motherboard"
BUS 00
Device 09
Function 0

When it happens, Win98se keeps rebooting in normal mode, but will boot in safe mode.

It doesnt happen all the time though. When it doesnt happen, Windows loads normally. Is there any way once Windows is loaded to identify which hardware (device 9) is causing this random problem?

Try checking your device manager for items with a ! by them. Also you should be able to see what is using what IRQ by opening system information.

Safe mode bypasses some of the hardware (CD player, for instance). I would take out every board and accessory except the video card and hard drive. Plug things back in until the problem returns. The most common I've seen is the conflict between the modem and com ports. Some conputers want to use THEIR com ports and the new card wants to change it - CONFLICT! Has this always been, or did it just start? Have you changed any boards lately? Even changing from slot to slot can cause problems when the system tries to re-install a board.

When the system (this is a notebook) boots ok, Windows loads normally and device manager looks fine. I can see all devices but I dont know which one is PCI "device 9" according to BIOS.

This has been happening only recently, there has been no changes or additions to the system. The problem is random enough so that it is impractical to remove for example the int modem in order to troubleshoot. Actually the modem is about the only device I could physically remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back