Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Product key you typed is invalid for activation" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Is the following a valid explanation of when/why you get this error and need to call Microsoft for activation? I just got it using a COA on the side of an HP desktop but installing Windows from a non-HP Windows 7 DVD. The COA on the OEM computers are "blacklisted" to require phone activation?

When a manufacturer builds a set of laptops, they install the OS and all the software and demos on a single machine and test and activate first. Then, they re-image that on all the laptops with identical hardware. The only difference between the machines (that the OS cares about) is the MAC ID of the network cards. The key allows that difference and does not trigger an invalid activation when the image is restored on all the other laptops.

If they had to install everything on every single machine the same way and activate each machine with a unique key, it would take them a long time and would not be acceptable for a production line. Re-imaging is what they do, which is much faster.

So, when you buy the laptop, effectively, you get two keys.
One key is the one that is used to activate the original installation by the manufacturer and the only way you can get that key is to use a program like the magic jelly bean to recover it. This key is on all the machines (identical hardware) that went through the production line together. If you make a clean install and use this key to activate, it will go through with no problem and will not require you to call.

The other key is on the bottom of the laptop. This key is unique for every machine. The manufacturer has to give you this key because you have paid for an OS and you must get a unique key. However, this key will require that you call to activate after a clean install

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Is the following a valid explanation of when/why you get this error and need to call Microsoft for activation?
No it isn't.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Nope.
However "I just got it using a COA on the side of an HP desktop but installing Windows from a non-HP Windows 7 DVD" is the reason. You are trying to activate a non-OEM version of Windows with an OEM KEY.

If the only installion disc you have is a "non OEM" put the code in after installation has completed.

And yes, if you like I'm advocating 'piracy'!

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

And yes, if you like I'm advocating 'piracy'!
No, not down this road again. I wasnt' trying to start that stuff again. Don't ruin my thread by getting it whacked.

You are trying to activate a non-OEM version of Windows with an OEM KEY.
Why do they care about this??? If it's a one to one ratio PC/COA on the side. If you don't have the Recovery Media or you don't want all the crapware installed via the Recovery Media or Recovery Partition. Again, Microsoft making it hard for people just to reload and get their computer back after something bad has happened.

It's like the government charging you a "homeless tax" because your house burned down.

>put the code in after installation

I'll just repeat: an OEM COA will not activate a non-OEM version.

I'll just repeat: an OEM COA will not activate a non-OEM version
Well, it certainly did activate after I phoned in and read the 97 numbers to them. I suppose you meant "will not activate over the internet without calling". Otherwise, you are wrong.

Somebody please assplain to me why they are doing this. As long as you use a legit COA on the side of a machine, why do they care what media you use. At least with XP it was simple: install XP using a RETAIL CD and use an OEM code - NO ACTIVATION and vice versa. Now (Windows 7), you can get the activation but you have to call. Why do they allow the installation/activation using mismatched media/COA but require you to call. I'm not trying to be a pirate, I just want to understand.

No, not down this road again. I wasnt' trying to start that stuff again. Don't ruin my thread by getting it whacked.
Just my little dig at the "Microsoft Police".
I just don't see why it matters, it's the same damned OS, installed on the same damned hardware, using the same damned key. The only bit missing is the bundled crap that OEMs get paid for foisting on to their customers.

strongm said:
I'll just repeat: an OEM COA will not activate a non-OEM version.
It always works for me when I have to reinstall for friends and family who don't have the original discs for one reason or another.

Somebody please assplain to me why they are doing this.
If you find the real answer let me know please.

Personally I see it as "revenue protection" disguised as "protecting the consumer".

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

> I suppose you meant "will not activate over the internet without calling".

Yes. I thought that was what we were talking about.

You have a brand-specific COA (sometimes referred to as a COA SLP). This does NOT carry a normal activation key. It can ONLY be activated over the phone - but does have the benefit that so doing will allow you to apply activation for a reinstallation from a retail copy of Windows

Having said that, the Non-SLP OEM COAs (smaller manufacturers) cannot activate a retail copy, nor can they activate a non-OEM version of Windows.

>I just want to understand.

Good luck with that. Microsoft licensing is a pain. And they do some weird, arbitrary changes. For example, Vista DVD came with all versions of Vista on it, and you selected the one that you wanted to install. You can't do that with Windows 7,because they only ship the right ... on no, hang on, the DVD STILL has all the versions on it, but a configuration file on the DVD (ei.cfg) locks it to a specific edition, because presumably Microsoft decided that they couldn't trust people to install and license the version that they had actually paid for - or perhaps were fed up with support calls from people installing Ultimate, then trying to activate it with their Home product key and getting in a mess. If you want an universal W7 disk you just need to burn a new ISO without the ei.cfg file (you still need legitimate activation keys for the version that you intend to install)

> I suppose you meant "will not activate over the internet without calling".
Yes. I thought that was what we were talking about.
I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Thanks for good explanation but I'm still challenged to understand it!!!

Microsoft licensing is a pain. And they do some weird, arbitrary changes.
Yes, this is what's making me cranky. The changes between XP / Vista / Win7. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to all the licensing/installing/media rules and changes between versions.

Yes, I know all about the EI.CFG file and how it can be used to create an "any version" DVD. Microsoft doesn't think about the guy out in the field trying to put a computer back together after a major meltdown. Usually owners don't have the original media or recovery disk or else it takes them 20 minutes to find it. OR if the hard drive died, there is no recovery partition. I just need to get on with my business, reload the OS and go home.

gooms line:
"I just need to get on with my business, reload the OS and go home."

Which leads to my practice of marking the COA with the install level that works with it. Also the practive of having install media for all levels, even though it is expensive as hell.

This was the motivation behind dealing mostly with Dell. Their install media bypassed the serious issues of having to deal with all the different versions.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

OR if the hard drive died, there is no recovery partition. I just need to get on with my business, reload the OS and go home.

Under those conditions, M$ licensing expects (demands) that you buy another licence, because your machine is no longer the same as when the O.E.M. built the machine and "licenced" it to you.

Even if you swap your 2GiB SoDIMMs for 4GiB SoDIMMs the machine is no longer 'OEM' and should be relicenced.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

>Under those conditions, M$ licensing expects (demands) that you buy another licence, because your machine is no longer the same as when the O.E.M. built the machine and "licenced" it to you.

You really don't understand Microsoft's OEM licensing, do you?

You really don't understand Microsoft's OEM licensing, do you?

Does anybody??? Including Microsoft themselves.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Hard drive dies - same license is legal. Replace/add memory - same license is legal.
You can do tons of changes without triggering the re-activation requirement.

Which leads to my practice of marking the COA with the install level that works with it.
So, you would mark the COA on a customer PC whom you've never met until they have a problem? Doesn't work retroactively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back