Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Problem with the host interface" at start of backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmckergan

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
GB
Hi folks,

I've been trying to get BE to back up our networked snap server - it is fine with restores, even from multiple tapes but when I try a backup it seems to write a few hundred Kb or as much as 1.5 megs then gives me the error:

"
Warning
Device: COMPAQ 1 (NTSERVER2)
The tape drive has a problem with the host
interface:
1. Check the cables and cable connections.
2. Restart the operation.
"

I have tried it with local files, but the same thing happens.

I am mystified by this and would really appreciate some help!
Many thanks in advance,
Dave.

Forgot to mention:

System is a 1GHz P3, NT4 Server, Backup Exec 8.6 Evaluation Demo, Tape drive is a Compaq TL891.

Thanks,
Dave.

I am experiencing this exact problem...any one have any insight?
thanks.

Hi,

Our problem turned out to be a faulty host controller - so it was hardware not software. Might be worth checking!

Dave.

Thanks for letting me know what you figured out.

I just switched out a Compaq DLT 35/70 drive. The previous unit had a tape jammed in it, so I just switched it out for the exact same drive, but after I installed it and tried to run the backup (Exec for Windows 9.1) I get the error message.

How did you figure out it was the host controller? Do I just need to replace the cable? I am using the same one as I was with the previous machine...sorry for my ignorance.
debbie.

Hi Debbie,

As it was quite a while back, I can't quite remember all the details but I think a Compaq 'engineer' came and replaced the entire drive unit, after which 'it worked'.

I know that's not much help but I remember having to check the (LCD on front panel) setup after installation of the new unit to make sure everything was ok too.

What I AM clear about is feeling very happy that it was hardware, not software :) Took me ages to get to the point where I had no software options left though (I think there are quite a few FAQ questions regarding Host Interface problems).

Sorry I'm not much help!

Regards,
Dave.
BKS Surveys Ltd., Northern Ireland.

Just an observation.. if this was running for a while, and nothing has been changed, or updated on the server, then suddenly you get this error..

The tape drive has a problem with the host
interface:
1. Check the cables and cable connections.
2. Restart the operation.

Wouldn't you automatically think it is a hardware error?

Normally yes, but this error message also points to a load of software problems. (regardless of the wording...)

Just for clarification, it was the tape drive unit causing the problem? I've checked with Veritas and they gave me a long list of things to try, which I will do, but if the drive is faulty that would explain a lot. I'm using Backup Exec 9.1 and I've had loads of software problems.
thanks,
debbie.

Hi Debbie,

Yip, it was the drive causing our problem. The engineer swapped it for a new one and that resolved the issue.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back