Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Preparing Automatic Repair" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Hi all!

I changed my AM2 motherboard for a AM3, my Phenom 9550 CPU for a Phenom 2, and the ram too. I got the 3 used items bundle from a local.
I believe I got everything well connected/assembled.
If I run the pc it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" w/the Windows 8 logo above. I waited about 20 minutes, it never changed.
Then I booted from the Windows 7 System Repair disc. It said something like "Windows is loading the files". But as soon as the progress bar was completed, it went away and nothing would happen.
Same happened with the Windows Vista repair disc.
I haven't tried the Windows Vista installation CD.
I also tried the Ubuntu 13 installation CD. It looked like it was loading files, or about to. But soon after only an underscore symbol was showing.

Am I to reformat the hard disk? Or is there still some hope?

Thanks guys!

JDL

So, I take it you didn't prepare the system for the motherboard upgrade, otherwise it would have loaded the correct drivers, and this wouldn't have happened. Also, why in the world would you think a vista or windows 7 repair disk would have any effect on a windows 8 installation? But, take heart, all is not lost, just a pita to fix. The easiest way would be to put the old system board and cpu back in,and see if it will boot, maybe not since you already attempted repairs from the wrong OS repair disks. If it does, great, run Sysprep before you do the upgrade. It is found normally in the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ folder. Just run the following command:

Sysprep /generalize /shutdown

This will strip out the hardware specific drivers, swap everything back over to the new/used equipment, and start it up, it will act like a new install, and you will have to type in the windows code, and activate it again.

If this does not work, you can try a repair install of windows 8 follow instructions found here

Also, it doesn't sound like you let the windows 8 automatic repair finish, it can take a long time, read up here

rclarke250, wow! That was a great reply :)
I was lucky enough to have the guy that sold me this bundle over. He only needed to see the motherboard info loading. He noticed something about the "quad-core being unlocked", I think. Now everything is fine. Windows did some fixing prior to load it completely.
Now I just got to get the right drivers for this motherboard. Too bad ASUS doesn't offer a version for Win8 :( I hope using the drivers for Win7 won't cause trouble.

I don't think I made a Win8 Repair disc, so I use your link to do it now ;)

JDL

Yep rclarke250 that was a very informative post, worth a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back