Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"physical database not found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishiknewmore

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
I need a little help with a situation that really has me baffled.

I've built a number of reports with CR 8.5 which access a db in a SQL Server 2000. We use a viewer called Crystal Ease for the folks that need to access the reports. In the past, I haven't had any problems. Now I'm having a problem on one particular workstation (Windows XP)

When the user tries to refresh a report (any report to which she has access), she receives an error saying "physical database not found".

If I login on her workstation as administrator (domain login), I can access and refresh the report with no problem. Using either my administrator, or her restricted login credentials for the report. However, when I login to the domain, on that workstation, using any other domain login account, I get the above described error whenever I try to refresh a report.

Since I can access using the admin profile, it seems the necessary dll files etc are on the computer and working properly. The problem only arises on non-administrative logins. I've even created new login profiles on that PC in case the original one was corrupted in some way. No luck.

The problem is not one of access rights etc as I am able to connect with no problems from othr computers.

I asked the support folks at Crystal Ease. They say the problem must be access to the "connectivity layer". I say "huh?"

Any suggestions?

It could be that the dlls are missing. If you're using Microsoft SQL Server native drivers, check whether ntwdblib.dll and p2ssql.dll are on the problem PC and that they're in the same place as a PC without the problem but with a similar setup. If they're not in the same place they can be copied to the problem PC and don't need to be registered.

Hope this helps.

How are you connecting? Via ODBC? Make sure the ODBC Data Source that was used to write the reports is present on the machine in question.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

RE: e11a
The dlls are the same on both the successfull PC and the problem one. I doubt that dlls are the issue as I can login as administrator (on the problem PC) and the program works with no problem. When I login as any other restricted user, the problem pops up.

RE: dgillz
I've tried connecting via ODBC per the software mfg instructions as well as installing Win2000 SQL server for connectivity purposes. No joy in either case once I get out of the administrator's login environment.

The actual db being accessed is on the SQL server.

I can take any other machine within the company, running Win2K or XP, install the reader software and have it work perfectly the first time, regardless of which user login I use. The problem PC, however, was a new Dell, right out of the box. The C.R. reader software works as designed, but only when logged in as the administrator.

You have a registry problem with the ODBC configuration for non-Admin users

--- or ---

A network problem when connecting-out to physical server the ODBC specifies when logged-in as a non-Admin user.

Those are the first two places I would look.

I'd tend to think it's a registry problem, but the question is: how to fix it.

I doubt the network problem as our main software package accesses the same database with no problem. Also, queries run through Excel access that same db with no problem.

I've tried setting up the ODBC connection as both system DNS (preferred by the software vendor) and user DNS. No luck either way.

Followup:
Today, I was able to get on the problem PC for an extended period of time.

I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted, reinstalled etc the reader program (Crystal Ease) until my fingers bleed.

I can only make the program work for the user in question if I change her profile from power user (required by other software) to administrator. At that point, it works perfectly. When I take the admin authority away, the problem returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back