Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"partition type 0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumbot

Technical User
Jul 29, 2002
US
So I got some crappy message when I tried to install Red Hat 7.1. It said "partition type 0" or something like that. "go into other OS and use that partition manager to change"

To which I say: Huh?

Using Win98, 40Gig 7200 RPM hard disk.

System Commander: Thinks I have less than 64MB of ram. (I have 256)
Partition Magic: "could not determine drive letters" (?! This makes sense...)

So how do I fix the problem (with "partition type 0"

With your boot disk, or emergency boot disk, you boot , run fdisk, delete partitions until fdisk , when restarted says there are no partitions detected. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Are you using the Druid or RedHat's fdisk?? What exact error came back to you? Please report it here.

Did you use Partition Magic to create a Linux partition on a pre-existing drive for the new RH install? Did you (if the option is given to you) set the RH partition type to 83 and create a swap partition type 82?

Remember, Linux needs a minimum of 2 partitions - a type 83 mounted as root (the main partition) and a type 82 mounted as swap (sized accordingly - old Linux' couldn't handle a swap partition of greater than 127MB, RH 7.2 now supports a swap up to 2GB. RH recommends setting swap partition no less than your available RAM, max up to double).

Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back