Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Page cannot be displayed" when using CONFIDENTIAL or INTEGRAL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

royc75

Programmer
Jun 1, 2006
GB
Hello,

I have created a simple web application with a security-constraint at the web.xml.
When I put <transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee> everything is working well but when I put CONFIDENTIAL or INTEGRAL I receive "Page cannot be displayed" when requesting the application. I am using Tomcat 5 and as far as I know at this case Tomcat should automatically transfer the request to the HTTPS port. Any advice?

Do you have an HTTP over SSL (ie HTTPS) listening ? !'m willing to bet not ...

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Look in your Tomcat server.xml file ?

Or run netstat on your machine to assess the open ports.

Or telnet to port 443 or port 8443 (usual HTTPS ports)

Or ....

10X I am not by the machine now but I will check it and let you know. One question though: everything is running on my local machine, I don't have firewall or other software that is blocking ports, so how can it be that they are not open?

Its not that the port is being blocked by a firewall - I suspect that you have not configured Tomcat to listen on the HTTPS port - its not default behaviour to do so - you have to configure it specially (and its not that easy either !)

Well 10X I assume this is the problem than since I didn't change the default behaviour.
Since you say it's not that easy (and I beleive you), do you happen to have a referance document for such configuration?

One of my colleagues did it a while back ... I'll dig out his notes on how to do it when I'm back at work tomorrow.

10X for thehelp sedj.
BTW, I thought that since using HTTPS is very common Web containers such as Tomcat are giving it out of the box...

Most people front Tomcat with the Apache HTTP server - which handles the HTTP/HTTPS protocol slice ... plus IMO Tomcat is not a *great* product. Servers such as Jetty IMO are a lot better, but thats just my opinion.

And if I'll do that (front Tomcat with the Apache HTTP server) I will have HTTPS out of the box? Can you please direct me to the Apache HTTP server? And by the way, which one are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back