Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"openme.exe" can not be found at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeee

Instructor
Aug 14, 2005
US
Whenever i start up my computer (Windows 98), there is a message window that says ("openme.exe" or one of its components can not be found. Make sure that the filename is correct.) This just started a few weeks ago. I think this openme.exe was deleted accidentally from C"\Windows\. Can someone please help me. Thanks in advance.

Use REGEDIT (click Start, Run, then type regedit and OK)

Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN

In there you will find the 'openme.exe'. Simply delete it.

I would suggest you update your virus software and do a full scan of your hard drive, just to be safe. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

I agree with darranagl on updating your antivirus software - openme.exe is a virus, so it's a Good thing that your system can't find it.

Steve

Ok mine says windows could not find openme.exe, and i looked in that folder and openme.exe is not there, and it still does it on start up?

It doesn't start from the registry.

Do this:

Go to Start/run , and type System.ini, then 'OK'

Your System.ini will now open in Notepad.

In the [boot] section, you'll see a line shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe

Edit it, so that it reads shell=Explorer.exe exclusively.
Save in 'File' , close System. ini.

Good luck, Tony

I've had that virus. My virus software identified it, and asked if I wanted to delete openme.exe. Of course I said yes. Sadly, from then on, I was unable to get into Windows98.

TO make a long story short, the ultimate result was that I had to reformat and reload my hard drive. I consumed many alcohol beverages in the process.

I would encourage you to exhaust all avenues, and I hope you are luckier than I was.

Here is a site with instructions on how to get rid of it, if you can:

BTW, if you're running NT or XP, you wont find it in System.ini

In that case, go to Start/run, and type Regedit.

You'll see an Windows-Explorer type interface.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\current version\Winlogon.

Click on it once, in order to highlight it, and to display its contents in the right pane.

You'll see a 'default' value Shell=Explorer.exe Openme.exe

Rightclick it, and choose 'rename'.

Edit it so it reads Shell=Explorer.exe exclusively, close Regedit, and reboot.

Incidentally, Ad-Aware with the latest reffile detects and removes this one as well. Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back