Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"No print servers are currently attached to this queue"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2002
US
NW 5, SP 6, had a printer/print server/printer queue that worked fine: HP 2500 CP (plotter), Linksys EPSX3 V2 and a queue called "hp_2500_q". Everything worked fine, until yesterday.

When trying to print, it would just hang, ran pconsole, said the job was "ready", not "active" like it usually would. Checked the details of the job, said it was "waiting on the print server". Reset the computer, printer and print server several times, reconnected cables, with same results. Tried to print the job from another pc, same results. Tried to ping the Linksys print server, with about 50% success rate, also had problems using the bi-admin util to scan and configure the print server. Found out the cable to the print server was bad, connected it to another cable, now could ping it and configure it no problem.

Tried to print, same problem... pconsole and printer in windows both showed the job as "ready". In pconsole showed the queue in question as "No print servers are currently attached to this queue". As I said, this queue was working fine until yesterday.

Deleted the printer, print server and queue in pconsole, recreated them. Try to print, again it says its waiting for the print server, check status of print queue, again it says "No print servers are currently attached to this queue"?

Go into NetWare Administrator, the properties of the printer, print server and queue all are correct.

What am I missing here?

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

Marv, thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, all our printers are non-NDPS, setup that way from the beginning. I didn't build the servers or network. I also see that NDPS.NLM isn't loading either.

Whats the advantage of doing printing that way?

I figured out that unless I configure the Linksys print server from its bi-admin util, nothing works. Using that util I was able to "tell" the print server which queue to use for each of the three ports. I set this thing up last year and forgot how to do it! I think I learned my lesson this time...

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

First of all, there is no NDPS.NLM... If you look in your NWCONFIG under the installedc products, if it's installed it will show up in the list as Novell Distributed Print Services. You should also have the option of creating NDPS objects in NWADMIN since it should put the snapin there for you when it installs.

That advantage to NDPS is that you can use IP (Instead of IPX) to the printer and it works. Queue based printing is a beeeeotch to troubleshoot. It either works right away or is a pain in the butt.

If you are able to pull off creating a broker, manager to run on the server... and then printer agents for each printer, you can associate the printer with the queue and it will work like a dream.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back