Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"NEW" Internet Connection Problem w/ZAPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail1

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
US
Suddenly, I have to turn ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 off to access the internet every time I boot my computer. After I once get online I can disconnect and re-connect at will, unless I reboot.
I have been using ZAPro for about 6 months and this problem just started.
I used to be able to connect with my DSL browser or Firefox
at will.
The settings in Zonealarm seem to be the same, my browsers programs are checked as being able to access the internet.
As near as I can tell from ZoneAlarm's site, I should lower the security setting slider to see if that helps. This seems to be a somewhat self-defeating action if I want to keep security up.

Facts:
1. Win98 SE (recently updated)
2. ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 (recently updated)
3. SBCYahoo DSL
4. AV antivirus (recently updated)
5. S&D, AdAware, Yahoo AntiSpy (all recent downloads or updates)

Any suggestions are appreciated in advance.

If u have Zonealarm set to the max settings, then U won't be able to connect to the internet. What settings do u have it set to?
It is just like the doors on your house. To be safer, u could keep them locked all the time, but U wouldn't be able to get out either.

Are you seeing any particular (program or firewall) alerts in the log file? Check outgoing program events first.
You can use VisualZone to monitor the log file.

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

The Internet Zone slider is set to high, but it has always been set there.

The log file has been denying connection to the modem's IP address, no programs are listed. I have the number of log incidents set to 50, so today's connections are all I am seeing.

I just booted up this morning and I had to try to connect several times, even with the firewall turned off. I am wondering if the DSL Modem is going bad, I have reconfigured it several times since my problems started.

well if you have an extra NIC laying around, you should try that out.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

ZAPro, right out of the box does not gaurantee security or enjoyable internet experience.

to experience both you need to take the time to properly set it up. setting everything to HIGH is not the way to go. it won't let you network or visit many websites.

look at your Zones, Componets, Programs, etc and modify each one according to your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back