Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"network 0.0.0.0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

matcor9925

Programmer
Nov 10, 2008
US
What does the statement "network 0.0.0.0" accomplish in the config below?

Router eigrp 100
network 0.0.0.0

hmmm looks like everything. I do not know that this will actually work but it is a poor design.

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

I guess it would advertise all networks on this router via eigrp to all other routers running eigrp in AS 100. That would be really lazy config though.

ahh, one of my favorite topics. I use this all the time (only in my lab, of course). but the "network" statement does two things:

1. If the interface IP falls within the IP range, than participate in the eigrp neighbor process (send out hello's and updates, etc..). this can be stopped by using the passive-interface command.

2. The second thing it does is: If the interface IP fails within the IP range, than advertise my subnet into EIGRP.

so it I have three interfaces:

s0/1 - 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
s0/2 - 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.252
s0/3 - 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

and I have a network statement of "network 192.168.0.0". that would then match the first two interfaces and they both would 1. participate in the neighbor process and 2. advertise the subnet.

The "network 0.0.0.0" would match all interfaces.

no auto-summary...

LOL

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back