Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Natting" to 2 different nets through the interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chackt

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
ES
Is it posible to share your internet connection through your ethernet interface, and then, with a switch, serve locally doing NAT for the private IP adresses of your LAN? At least, WinRoute is not able to, since it requires 2 interfaces for each network, and moreover, private addresses for your private lan. what about if your 'private lan' also uses some public ips and you want to connect it? Is there any better software? Thanks.

Get a router. For a switch to do that, you'll pay a lot for it.

use the router for your NAT table, then assign all prive addressing internally. Look up Port Address Translation to redirect incoming traffic to a specific port on a server, (i.e. port 80 to a web server's private IP)

You won't have to add an Inside nat statement to anyone outside your network. PAT will do it for you.

Personally I use a 2511 externally and a 2610 internally for dual LAN connectivity. It's the same thing, but I have two dynamic subnets using the ip nat inside....overload
command
Just the access list used for outgoing traffic must include both subnets.

There are a few inexpensive commercial routers that can do this. You can buy them anywhere.

If you use cisco equipment it may take a little reading if you haven't done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back