Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Machine gun" sounds after bios reset ??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogenes10

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Not sure what is relevant, so I'll try to be brief here and then answer specific questions later.

Epox mobo, amd 1800 processor, win98se
Processor was overheating, machine was freezing. Was experimenting with bios changes to deal with the issue.
Changed the multiplier setting - machine would not start up at all. Popped and reseated the bios battery.

Machine now starts and runs, however when it gets to the network login phase, the speakers emit a stacatto machine gun type noise. It stops when you press the escape key. Then you continue with the rest of the login process.

Wondered if someone could think of settings that might have changed in the bios that would cause this type of problem?

Thanks.

sounds like you have an irq problem. Do you have a sound card. Also, could be your network card try replacing your card for good one.
Sundust1

Diogenes10 - I would clean the contacts on the RAM, and GFX Card, then reseat them...

if that is an Award BIOS, are the BEEPS short or are they long? SHORT indicates a Power problem with the board, LONG indicates problem with the GFX-Card...

is it an AMI BIOS - it may indicate a CACHE (L1 and/or L2) Problem on the mobo, to fix you'd need to replace the mobo... test this by turning off the CACHE in the BIOS...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Are you sure it's coming from the speakers? Sometimes a program trying to access the A: drive will make a machine-gun-like noise. See if your drive access light goes on when it's making the noise. If so, check your startup list in msconfig to see if something is trying to run from A:.

You've probably fixed it by now, but hey! Whatever.

Have you tried a different Keyboard? Or while it's ding it's machine gun thing, pull the keyboard out and see if it keeps going.

Always go for the KISS method.(Keep It Simple Stupid)

diogenes10,
Check the settings in the bios if you have integrated sound and verify that is enabled.

Problem still exists.
Breaking this into two posts.
First comments in regard to above.

To best recollection, no noise problems of this nature prior to popping battery. This is why I think it is related to some bios setting that was changed originally to make the system work and was then changed back to "default" when I removed the battery.

Award bios.

At the time I made the original post -
Onboard sound only. BIOS showed
AC97 audio [AUTO]
AC97 speaker at POST [DISABLED]

Have no spare network card. Network connection works fine.

Would describe noise associated with original post as very rapid "clicks", not short or long beeps.

Noise definitely coming from speakers (on desk, plugged into green port on mobo sound connections).

I have done some card moving around (and adding - discussed in next post) however I think the original configuration, prior to battery removal was:

5 PCI slots.

Network card in Slot 2.
PCI printer port card in slot 4.

Per manual:
INT A PCI 1 and AGP.
INT B PCI 2
INT C PCI 3 and PCI 5 and AC97/MC97
INT D PCI 4 and Onboard USB 1 and Onboard USB 2

INT pin1 to pin4 assignment: all set at auto.

Have you disconnected the speakers to make sure it is really the speakers? Speakers can also amplify some other "event" that occurs and is bleeding into the sound system of the PC.

Ok, I worked on this for awhile last night and made more problem, no solution.

Summary of current situation, which I may just have to live with at this point,

Reboot to dos no longer works, instead of rebooting to dos, system reboots. (Win98 SE)

Onboard sound and speaker are now both disabled, but if you listen very carefully, close to mobo speaker, at the time the network prompt shows up on the screen, the speaker is still emitting the stacatto machine gun noise, but now there are also very infrequent intermittent short beeps interspersed with the clicking.

Speakers on desk are now plugged into a CT5807 sound card. After I respond to the network login when the Windows 98 desktop comes up, The sound announcing the arrival of the desktop has a couple of warbles in it.

After all the preliminary issues, the computer seems to play a cd ok.

-------------------

What I did:

First, in preparation for adding a sound card, I removed the sound cable to the cd from the motherboard. Only -- it wasn't the sound cable. It was the USB 2nd port cable(s) and it wasn't 1 connector, it was 9. I had no clue about that - I think I finally got that worked out after lots of reading in the manual and on connector ends. However; I did have a case ground hooked up to a cable ground for awhile in the process because the cable markings did not correspond to my manual markings and I did not understand there were 2 types of grounds - don't know if that made any additional problems in the motherboard.

Then back to my original project - I got an old CT5807 sound card and thought I would try replacing the on board sound with that. I tried various combinations of the CT5807 and the network card in PCI slots 1,2, and 3. None of them worked. Sisoft Sandra showed lots of useage of interrupt 11, but none on interrupt 5. I tried to reset the CT5807 interrupt to 5 in the device manager. That would not work - the creative software forces it to int 11. After getting no results with various combinations, I studied the manual for awhile and settled on the following configuration:

PCI 1 blank (leaves agp with no competition),
PCI 2 network (leaves network with no competion),
PCI 3 CT5807,
PCI 4 LPT 2 PCI printer card,
PCI 5 blank.
I then went to bios and set INT pin1 to pin4 assignment for PCI 3 to interrupt 5.

Rebooting, I have the results at the beginning of this post.
Rebooting again, I checked the bios, it does show 5 for PCI 3; however, when machine is fully started, Sisoft Sandra still shows no useage of interrupt 5 and the creative software continues to force the CT5807 to interrupt 11.
The floppy drive access light is not on when the machine is making the clicking noise when waiting for network login.

I do not have, and will not be provided, a substitute network card or memory for testing.

------------------

Like I said above, I suspect I may be at a point where I'll just have to live with the situation as it is.

Regards.
d

I pulled the sound card back out. The reboot to dos -which I need for shutdown- now works again.

I removed Realtek audio drivers and reinstalled from a driver set downloaded from Epox. No change. The clicking or machine gun noise still kicks in sometime after the first painting of the screen with the windows 98 logo and before I have to answer network login prompts.

No further ideas - I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for looking at the thread.

Regards.
d

And the prize on this one appears to go to funkytunaa.

I was setting up another old machine I wanted to troubleshoot some problems on and I used the keyboard from my old machine (that was involved in the post above). The second machine had clicking sounds at the same point in the bootup process. Found another keyboard to use - no sounds.

Don't know what's going on in the keyboard but it is apparently going bad internally.

Keep It Simple Stupid

It will solve a hell of a lot of issues.

Glad you fixed it, Nagging problems like this can be a pain.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back