Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"lsass.exe" and "Timed Shutdows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXtremX

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
PT
Sometimes, when I connect to the Internet it appears a Shutdown warning with a timer, this warning as something to do with "lsass.exe", a process that I can find in the Processes window and is obviously running. Is this a virus or some kind of malicious code?

Likely Sasser.

Be sure to download and apply the security hotfixes shown on this site to prevent the consequences of Sasser and Blaster.

You can stop the shutdown by immediately doing:
Start, Run, shutdown -a

Before using the internet again, enable the native ICF XP firewall.
After removing Sasser, you might consider going to Service Pack 2. The following is a good checklist of preliminary steps before applying SP2:

I have here a Sasser removal tool and it indicates that there wasn't no infection found... Another thing: this happens generally on only one account of Windows.

Make sure your installation is up to date with all Windows updates and Security Patches (or just install SP2).

Update your virus definitions and set it to scan for "all files".

Use some of the online scanners to double check your system.

What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?
faq779-5240

Consider removing that one user and recreating another user profile. Or run this faq608-3482 on the profile and
rely on "Start, Run, shutdown -a " until the problem is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back