Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"lock" your computer for remote desktop requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
I'm going to try activating remote desktop access from my home to my computer at work. Using XP Pro, SP2 on both computers and network is Windows 2003 Standard Server. Have a working VPN connection.

One of the instructions from Microsoft is for me to "lock" my computer before leaving work so that I can then access it from home. I've never seen a prompt anywhere to "lock" anything. They say to use Crtl/Alt/Delete and then select "lock." No such thing. What exactly do they mean here? If I set my screen saver for a certain time it will lock the computer and require a password to log back on. Is that what they're talking about?

And is this an absolute requirement for Remote Desktop? If I log off my computer and hence my domain before leaving the office am I out of luck as far as Remote Desktop? If I accidentally do not log out before I leave, am I also out of luck?

And if using Remote Desktop, when I connect to my office computer it will require a user name and password right?

If I want to connect to the server itself (I am the administrator), do I also enable Remote Desktop on the server as if it's a regular work station?

it is not a requirement, just a good idea. you can lock it logging off, this wont affect remote desktop. dont forget to open ports 3389 on your firewall and router.

Okay I'm obviously missing some switch somewhere. Have a Windows 2003 Server and 10 workstations all using XP Pro with SP2. Have enabled Remote Desktop on both the computer here in the office and the computer at home. Have opened Port 3389 on my Netgear router at the office. Have connected via the VPN, but when I attempt to connect to the computer at the office it tells me either it cannot find it, or an error message about Terminal Services. Is Remote Desktop just a part of Terminal Services? Terminal Services service is running. I have allowed Terminal Services connections for the user, but this is only the Administrative Terminal Services licensing which came with Windows Server 2003. To enable Remote Desktop do I need to buy the licensing for Applications Mode? Nowhere in any Microsoft literature do I see anything that indicates more licensing is required nor do they ever mention Terminal Services at all. Also, in the Terminal Services tab of the User configuration it asks for a Terminal Services Profile. What exactly are they asking for there? The same path as the roaming profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back