Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Localhost is not accessible... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkr1

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
Linux baby here...

I am attempting to set up a simple Samba file share server running Fedora. I can see the shared drive but cannot access with windows explorer "\\Localhost is not accessible You are attempting to connect to a machine with the same name..."

What should I look for? Thanks!

Windows has the concept of a "localhost" hostname also.

You CANNOT (without great DNS perversion) seek to connect to another box (Win or Lin) via the name "localhost".

Change the Samba machine's hostname to ANYTHING else.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Makes sense...can you tell me where to look?

Just as your Win box has a "hostname" or "machine name", so does the linux box. If you haven't given it a name yet, you will need to get to the command line. This is usually called the "shell" and is accessed through a terminal window. If you are running fedora core 4, you can click on Applications > System Tools > Terminal. Once there, issue this command:

hosname machinename

where machinename is the name you want to give to this machine. If you understand networking, you can click on Applications > System Tools > Network Device Control. Then click on Configure. When the window pops up, click on the Host tab and enter the ip and hostname there. You can also configure your other network settings from here. Make sure the linux box and Win box belong to the same work group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back