Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Loading Media" error, similiar to problem listed below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commdevildog

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2003
US
I am running Backup Exec 9.0 on a Win 2000 Server. I am running 7 jobs overnight and for the most part no problems, except with one. For the local machines D drive, the job shows "running" for about 45 minutes, then the device name disappears from the job monitor window and the job status goes to "loading media". The job then sits there until I manually cancel it, which usually requires a reboot. This happens no matter what tape is used or where in the sequence the job runs. I have deleted the job and ran the other six with no problems, but when I add the job again, it does the same error. There is nothing special about the d drive in itself. I (believe) that I have verified that there is enough room on the tape.
I am relatively new to this application, but will readily admit I am no expert. Can anyone help me out or point me in a good direction on how to solve this error/lock?

Thanks

Has a 2nd tape been loaded to see if the job resumes? What alerts are being posted under the Alert tab?

If there is data that has already been compressed by another software application on the drive in question, it cannot be compressed again, which sometimes creates the need for a 2nd tape.

Also, what happens if you manually run that job on a freshly erased tape? And when you cancel the job, sometimes it does take awhile to cancel it, no need for a reboot. Worst case, stop all of the backup exec services, and start them again. Some may take 2 tries to get them to stop, but should save you a reboot.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back