Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"ListBox" Navigation Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toga

Technical User
Jul 21, 2000
US
Does anyone know if & where a download may be available of a generic "ListBox" Navigation Screen? I'm not sure if that's even the proper description but it's essentially 2 or maybe 3 listboxes connected to each other allowing a user to quickly drill down to a specific part within an application that he wants to open. The first listbox would list all of the major program modules available and as you highlight each of the items in that list, the different submodules tied to it would be listed in the 2nd Listbox. The user would simply click or double click one of those options and that specific part of the application would open. I've seen it used in a couple of different applications and I would appreciate it if anyone knows of such a download. If I have a choice on the database to hold the data....I prefer Access97.

Nobody has an opinion or suggestion on this or is my description confusing?

I think I understand what is you want to do. I believe you could do this with standard VB listboxes. I think the following steps might help.

1. Query the 'database' and extract all the major modules

2. Loop through the data returned from the Query and populate the first ListBox with the module names and assign some index to the ListBox's ItemData property.

3. When the user clicks on an option from the first ListBox another query is executed to pull back data from the database regarding the submodules. The information in the 'where ' clause of this query would be linked to the ItemData property of the first ListBox.

4. Clear the second list box of all entries and populate with the values from the second query.

For example:

Table1 Table2
ID Module INDEX SubID Module
1 Accounts 1 1 Purchase Ledger
2 Sales 2 1 Profit & Loss
3 2 Contacts List

First ListBox populated from table1. On clicking 'Accounts' second query performs 'select * from table2 where SubID=1'. This will retrieve the two options to populate the second ListBox.

I hope this of some help to you. Apologies If I am on totally wrong track.
John Whyte
jwhyte@skipton.co.uk

DriveListBox ! ,dirListBox !? --->> Access97 !?

I dont understand the qustion !

explain a little more... Eric De Decker
vbg.be@vbgroup.nl

Licence And Copy Protection AxtiveX.

Download Demo version on my Site:
Promotions before 02/28/2001 (free source codebook),visite my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back