Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Limited Virtual Memory" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

owsley

Technical User
Mar 5, 2004
US
hello all,

an almost identical problem to mine is posted in the Windows 2000 forum, but i thought i would be thourough and put mine in the appropriate one.

when i start Windows, it tells me my system has no paging file. but it did this morning! three of them actually. two 256-512's spanning two other SCSI drives and one small 2-64 on my C: drive. the only thing i did just before was to update the BIOS on my LSI SCSI card and install ASPI drivers, which i didn't really need to do. otherwise, before that, all was well. now none are seen by Windows. no matter how many times i try to re-set them, it thinks they're not there... and they're not! the pagefile.sys files are nowhere on any of my drives. i tried setting the permissions to allow full control for "everyone" like others suggested in the W2K thread, and in the Microsoft KB article on the similar subject, but it doesn't work. and i only installed Windows the other day, so it hasn't been running long. i just built the system. i don't want to re-do it since i've just come off hours of installing everything how i like it. there has to be some other solution. i'd at least like to know why it happens, even if in the end i have to re-install. the system works fine otherwise, since i have 512MB of memory. only i won't be able to play any of my good games until the problem is fixed... :eek:(

thanks guys,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back