Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"jumping" menu when adding text to page

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

I have a website at - it's quite simple and I use notepad to type in the code.

I've recently amended the pages to add a menu bar at the top of the page rather than at the right-hand side of the page. I've noticed that the menu seems to 'jump' on certain pages.

If you take a look at and compare it to you will see that the menu seems to jump a bit.

I've readded the text bit by bit which is why testindex.html is incomplete, it's when I go to add a bit of text under the heading using <p>, <br /> and </p> in the paragraph that it jumps again.

You can see the CSS at
I suppose it's not big deal really, but it's driving me round the bend!

Any advice gratefully received.

regards

Pendle

Is it a specific browser this happens in? I have tested your page in latest FF and IE8 and there was no jumping. The only difference was that there was one more item in the test page navigation.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Hi there

I use Chrome, but checked it in Firefox and it was happening.

The test page navigation is fine as I'm testing before putting in the next database, but if it looks fine to you then good!

Thanks for looking.

Pendle

Hi

I've made sure the menu is the same on both pages and in IE and FF it's now absolutely fine, but not in Chrome, so I'm guessing it's a Chrome thing.

thanks

Pendle

Can you better describe this jumping? The only difference I can see (and this is only when the scrollbar appears) is that menu moves a little bit horizontally to make space for the vertical scrollbar.

This is a normal thing. When you have no scrollbar, there is more space on the right side and elements that are centered respective to the entire page shift slightly. When scrollbar appears, space on the right side disappears and elements shift to find new center.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Okay, my excuse is that it was very late at night and I was getting frustrated because of database issues.

Thank you Vragabond - yes, of course there is a scrollbar which appears on most of the pages.

Permission granted to call me a wally!

Thanks for spotting that.

Pendle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back