Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Is Null" not finding null values-?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpav29

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
OK, I know it sounds simple, and I hope it is. A text field with many records having null values. My very simple query isn't picking them up with "is null". It's a text field, not required, zero length allowed (though these aren't zero length strings).

The only thing unusual is that I imported the table from and excel worksheet. In excel the field was general. Anyone know what's going on here?

That didn't do it. Any other ideas?

Do some testing.
Replace your IsNull([Field]) query temporarily with:
Msgbox [Field]
to see what it says, then maybe you'll understand what's up

hth

Can you explain that. . .not sure how to go about it. Thanks!

dpav,
Are you *sure* the field is Null and not a zero length string? Ie, if you put "" in the criteria will they show? Also, check for other 'hidden' criteria--such as those D'OH! criteria that we've all forgotten about--you know...way over at the far right column, off the edge of the screen? Those have gotten me more than once...
--Jim

Thanks a lot everyone! They WERE zero length afterall (D'OH!!!). I need a drink.

Thanks for the correction, Jim. I'm having difficulty keeping T-SQL and Jet straight this week. This is about the 4th or 5th time I've posted a T-SQL answer in an Access forum. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back