Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Invalid patition table" after rebooting the Win XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelex

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
DE
Hi, all!
The situation is:

I have 4 partitions on my HD one physical and one logical. The logical one is divided into 3 parts and on one of them is Linux. The primary partition is for Win XP. I had one version of XP there, but it was somehow unlucky so I desided to install another version of XP. So I put the CD, erased the old XP-partition made a new one, formatted it NTFS, and wanted to install. Everything OK, yet. The Win copied some files in the installation directory and wanted to reboot. After rebooting my PC hang up with the message "Invalid patition table". And did nothing else.
As I tried to get to the Linux partition (with the installation CD) it didn't work also. The message was: "Can't mount the partition". At least I managed to boot the Linux Rescue system and got the bash promt. Everything was there, I could mount all the partitions and see the files there.
But I don't know how can I restore the partition table and put the GRUB (I used it as the boot manager) again in MBR.

Any ideas??

Have you tried Fixmbr? (There could be some help in the Google links at the end of this post too.)

Fixmbr repairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

\Device\HardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

266745 - Error Message When You Run fixmbr Command

153973 - Recovering NTFS Boot Sector on NTFS Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back