Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Intel is in serious trouble. ARM is the Future." - Is this the beginning of the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I just watched a Youtube video with the title in the post subject on the "Coreteks" channel.

It says that both Microsoft and Apple are pushing the ARM core architecture. Which means eventually a new architecture to run Office on.

The video estimate is 5 years for the shift to hit desktops.

This raises the very real possibility that MS may not support the architecture shift and rewrite for Access (surely standard office would be). On the flip side, it may mean they completely overhaul it and it will by necessity become a multi-threaded application. Based on the video, it looked as though x86 emulation suffered about a 40 to 50% performance loss on ARM today making that just another in long line of enhancements that may hurt more than help. I am referring of course to the current tendency of Intel to add cores and cut clock speed. This of course yields faster over all performance in general but makes Access which is confined to a single thread to run on a slower clock.

Any thoughts on whether Access is here to stay for the long term or if it is dead in I am guessing 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back