Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Identity" in Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgotthelf

Programmer
Aug 1, 2000
US
Hello,<br><br>I'm just starting to work with Oracle, so forgive me if I'm asking too basic a thing here.<br><br>I am trying to figure the best way to populate the primary key field of tables.&nbsp;&nbsp;Using SQL Server I set the field up as an &quot;Identity&quot; field, which caused the server to automatically increment a value and put it into that field on each insert.&nbsp;&nbsp;What is the best way to do this in Oracle 8i?<br><br>Joe G.

You can create a <b>sequence</b> to generate the incrementing number.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then you need to create a <b>trigger</b> that executes <b>on insert for each record</b> on the table you need the incrementing value and do <br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SELECT<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<i>sequence</i>.nextval<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;INTO<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;:new.<i>field</i><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;dual;

Eggselent - the sequence works fine, but I'm not sure how to build the trigger - I have:<br><br>create trigger test_addid before insert on mytest<br>for each row<br>begin<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;:new.fred_id := select get_my_id.NextVal from dual; <br>end;<br><br>I also tried:<br>:new.fred_id := get_my_id.NextVal<br><br>and some other variations.&nbsp;&nbsp;They all produce the surprisingly useless message:<br><br>[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]Trigger, procedure or function created with PL/SQL compilation error(s).<br><br>Any ideas?<br><br>Thanks again - I'll learn quickly, please be patient with me!<br><br>Joe G.

Joe,<br><br>You must use the <b>SELECT...INTO</b> statement that I put in my original post not the assignment statement that you are trying.<br><br>Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back