Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"ghost" space at end of line before next line on centered text

Status
Not open for further replies.

purrlions

Technical User
Sep 25, 2005
US
Hello,

I am setting up a document and I have a text box that contains two words:

First Name
Last Name

When I was selecting this text my employer noticed that there is a space after the first name on the first line. Since the entire text box is center aligned, he contends that the Last Name is not aligned exactly centered under the First Name.

This is what Indesign shows when I highlight the text:

First Name {extra space here}
Last Name

I can see the extra space too, but no matter how I break the line, with a return, or a shift return, that space still shows up.

Is there a way to get rid of that space without using a separate text box for each line?

...that extra space is an invisible character, it is therefore not taken into account by indesign when centering text. Choose "type > show hidden characters" to see it.

...even if you add normal spaces to the end of the first line the text won't move...it will if you put spaces in between words or at the beginning of the first line...

...your employer is therefore incorrect with regards to how indesign deals with typesetting.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

..to add, if you justify ALL lines you will see that indesign does not take line returns (or hidden characters) in account, it ignores them...

...as far as indesign is concerned, it is the letters edges that matter.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back