Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Ghost" mailboxes after move

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
Until recently, we've had all of our Exchange 2010 users in 2 mailbox databases. We've now decided that for various reasons we are going to split the databases from 2 into 4. I've started the process of moving the databases but I noticed that when I run a Get-MailboxStatistics the moved mailboxes show up in both the new database AND the database it originated from. All the move requests completed ok. So why when I run Get-MailboxStatistics do I see, say John Doe's mailbox, in both the original mailbox database and the new mailbox database?
I know that the size of the original mailbox won't shrink until I run an offline defrag but shouldn't the users only be displayed in the new DB?
Thanks in advance.

I do believe I figured it out. It seems to be that in Exchange 2010 SP 1, they don't "Remove" the old mailbox from the old database after a stressful move. Instead it becomes a "disconnected mailbox" and will be deleted after your normal deleted mailbox retention period (which by default is 30 days I believe).

That's right - or you can move the mailbox back to the original store and then over again.

That should read "after a successful move"
NOT "after a stressful move"
I believe that was a spell check auto suggestion that I failed to notice was NOT the word I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back