Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Ghost" data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunc0029

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

Suddenly today, one of our users went to a screen where there is a linked record, which showed up blank. I look up the same person ( in the same database ) on one of my PCs and they show up. I look on my other PC and they do not. So, then I tried browsing for the record. The exact same thing happened - the record is there when I browse for it on one PC and not the other. Again, this is looking at the exact same production table. I'm thinking it has to be a Novell Client Network setting or something like that. Stranger yet is that the "missing" records are not new records that are just cached somewhere, they are old records.

To "fix" the problem, all I had to do was copy the data off the network, to my hard drive ( on the "good" computer), and copy it back.

Really strange...

About the only thing I could tell was different between my 2 PCs in terms of network client was Novell 4.83 ( where the data showed up) versus 4.83.4.

Jason

I look up the same person ( in the same database ) on one of my PCs and they show up

Just had a similar problem myself. I ran the exe from the IDE and SET EXACT was the opposite to what the users were seeing in the runtime. Might you be seeing a similar problem with SET DELETED?

Geoff Franklin

Good thought ... but I was actually running it from the EXE on the network on both machines ( to avoid that kind of potential issue ). Also, the record was not marked as deleted.

Some VFP config option also wouldn't explain why it was resolved by simply copying the data to my hard drive and back.

This happened one other time, but I chalked it up to a fluke. My only thought is it got buffered somehow and a setting was different on one PC so it "saw" the data, where the other ones did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back