Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"File is in use" error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

pthakar

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hi
I have an access application on the network. There are three users. when we try to access application at the same time the error message pops up that "file is in use".
does any body have any idea. how to resolve this.
thanks in advance

Let me see if I got this straight, is the app really giving you the the error or the file? If it is the app, it sound like maybe a licencing issue or it is stand-alone software. If it is the file, you don't want two people modifying the same file at the same time. The last person out is what is saved and the other persons changes are not saved. Hope that helps.

This is an access database application and I designed each forms but the problem is we all can get into the application but if any of us is using anyone form; rest of us cannot use any other form.

Hi

This is probably a (network) permissions problem

When you open an Acecss mdb, a lock file (.ldb) is created in the same folder as the mdb, when the mdb is closed (by the last user) the .ldb is deleted. This means that all user MUST have full rights in that folder (ie red/write/create/delete)

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Hi,

So how do you go about solving this problem? The lock file will be there and it can only be one.

Any solutions?

IN our case, it is on shared drive. 3 people have access to it and they want to use it simultaneously.

Thanks,
Ashish

Hi

I thought I gave (a possible) solution, ensure all users who will access the database have read/write/create/delete permissions in the directory where the .mdb file resides

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back