Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Field is too small to accept the amount of Data ..." Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsel

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
AU
I have a form with textboxes a couple of combo boxes (filled from another table) and some checkboxes bound to a table.

I'm getting the "Field is too small ..." error and can't work out what is causing it. I went nuts and changed every length I could to 255 chars but to no avail.

I have been searching on the net for an answer and the only thing that has come close is that the checkboxes can sometimes cause this error. But that advice was to go into the advanced options of ODBC and change boolean types from text to true/false. Mine is only a simple db and so I haven't set up any ODBC connections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP as I have to deliver this this arve. And of course everything worked up until I found this and now it errors every time.

Selena

dragonsel,

The error you are getting hos little to do with the controls on the form. When it says the field is too small, it means the field in a table that it is trying to put data in (whether you intend it to or not) cannot hold all the data being sent to it.

This error usually only occurs for text fields. What action is being taken that reults in that error?

Go to Design View for your table and change them from TEXT boxes to MEMO boxes.

A text box holds a max of 255 and a Memo can hold some 64,000.

Spyder757

Spyder757 has a point, but it does not address several key issues, namely, what is it you are trying to put in the fields and how is it you are trying to put it there. There's no way for us to know whether or not you have something else weird going on in your database.

Also, if the fields are something that you will ever want to sort on, you won't be able to use memo fields.

Give us more info so we can help you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back