Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Fatal server error"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf2x

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2000
US
(Running Red Hat 7.1)
Yesterday, our building lost power. Upon reboot, one of my linux server's screen was "flickering" to a black sreen (never being able to get into X).

I reboot at level 3 with no problem and tried to start X from the command line. The screen goes black....flickers...and then goes back to the command line with the following error: Fatal server error, Could not open default font 'fixed'.

I've searched the web/man pages and tried to follow suggestions. I did a chkfontpath and then went into each directory and did a mkfontdir with no luck whatsoever.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

pupu is probably right but if it's a server why do you run X??

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

If I try to "restart" xfs I get "failed". If I "start" xfs I get "OK". After I get the ok (still no luck with X)....I do a "service xfs status" and get the message "xfs dead but pid file exits".

The reason why I am running X on the server is because it is not a true "server" (just a normal box with a lot of harddrive space). I use it as a small file server that has a cd burner. I use the burner via the GUI.

I guess that you need to reinstall your X packages.

Probably need to rpm -qa | more ... to identify what X packages you have installed then do a rpm -Uvh ftp://ftp.redhat.com/.........(yourX.rpm) (you'll need to search for the path to your required .rpms on redhat)

Good Luck

Go to single user mode, force fsck on all filesystems and then reinstall XFree86-xfs package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back