Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

" Dead" Compac

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Probably the best state for it!

Motherboard out of case, laying on test bench.
Turn on. Keyboard flashes - optical mouse flashes - hard drives spin.
No beeps! No video. Monitor indicates no signal.
Tried new power supply, pulled memory (still no beeps), cleaned and reseated CPU.
I don't have a spare Sempron (AM2),CPU to swap.
Do you think it is worth buying a new CPU to test the mobo? ($50)
Five year old computer. Being a Compac, the front panel wiring would have to be modified to replace the mobo with a new one.

nope, too old. better to spend the money on upgraded parts. Watch Newegg for the deals every day, at least a couple of times a week, they have a basic computer for around 300.00 that would run circles around that compaq.

Yeah, I already condemned it to the customer. I was just playing with it to satisfy my curiosity. Plus if I did fix it - I could be like Scotty on Star Trek!!!

Yeah, I would agree that you would NOT want to BUY anything to test it. Only if you could BORROW something would it be worthwhile to scope it out.

Could be motherboard or processor.

Yeah - might as well kill this thread. Save the memory, and drives. It does have a nice big ASUS heat sink and fan. Even the power supply is only a 20 pin!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back