Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"could not deliver the message in the limit specified"

Status
Not open for further replies.

selinis

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
CA
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended "recipients"

"The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
Recipient email address on 8/18/2007 3:11 PM
Could not deliver the message in the limit specified. please retry or contact your administrator.

<our domain name #4.4.7>

this is what an user gets back when trying to send a message to someone ehich is not within our organization.

The weird thing is that some emails sent to the same domain went through. That makes me think is not the firewall.We use ORF Enterprise Edition for spam filtering but the setings look fine, the target domain is even on the recipient whitelist.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

The target system is on the recipient list? For your domain? If so, that has nothing to do with SENDING email to them. And neither would move spam solutions unless you have it configured to check outbound email as well (which is not common).

Check to see if you're blacklisted, if your rDNS is correct, etc.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks for your reply, sniper. I checked the MX record, among other things. It was pointing to a backup internet line which normally is disconnected. After I changed the record the emails went through without problems.

Glad to see you got it working.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back