Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Companyweb" within SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

trussman

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have been trying to get the to work on our server. When I type the address into IE, a page appears that says "The page cannot be found". I would like to set this up with some of the features I have heard about. But how do I get it to start?

When I look in the C:\Inetpub\companyweb folder all it shows is a file called web.config. There does not appear to be any actual website files listed. Is there something that was not installed from the supplier of the server that I need to install? If so, what would it be?

Thanks for any help.

There probably isn't anything missing, you just need to add in the content that you want displayed on the website.

You will also need to make sure to add an entry in DNS pointing companyweb to the SBS server.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I am new to the SBS server. But I am uunder the understanding from the Help and Microsoft that there should be a basic website that can be modified already installed with SBS.

Plus we only have the one server. So it should be looking no where else.

Thanks.

Plus we only have the one server. So it should be looking no where else.
DNS doesn't work like this. You still have to tell it that companyweb = Your SBS server.

I'm not sure what sort of default site SBS would include.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I am not sure either. All I know is when you click on the Help in the Server Management under Internal Website, it says to type in in IE, then click on Create in the tool bar. But all I get is a Page cannot be found error.

Would you mind posting the steps to point the DNS to the correct place?

One way to tell if your problem is DNS is to try to access the website by IP address instead of by name. If it responds by IP then your problem is DNS.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Go to DNS, create an A record, point it to the IP of your server, select to create a PTR, and you're all set.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I tried the IP of the server. I got the Welcome to Windows SBS 2003. But when I clicked on My Company's Internal Website, I get the same error.

I am going to try the DNS creation and see if that works. Is this created in the Forward Lookup Zone under domain.local?

It will be in the Forward Lookup Zone for your domain.

You should not have to do any DNS record creating or manipulating with SBS to get to work, the SBS install should take of this for your.
Were there any problems during the install??

You might also want to try the SBS forum here as well, those guys know SBS inside and out.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Probaably help if I gave you the forum number for SBS wouldn't it....

forum1584

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Paul - I will try that forum. SBS was installed on the server by an outside company. The only thing we did not do was the task list. But as far as I can tell, everything installed just fine.

Dave - that is where I put it, but it still is not working.

Pagy - thanks. I did post my question in there. Hoping someone can see it.

Guys - Thanks for the help. This is the best forum I have seen. The advice is great from everyone. Especially for us guys that are still learning.

After putting it in there, drop to a cmd prompt and type ipconfig/flushdns at your workstation. On the server, clear the DNS cache.

I tried this, and it did not work either. Any more thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back