Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Client CD Needed" Stopping GW6.5 Upgrade 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhpen

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
US
Am "trying"' to update our system from GW6.0.1 to 6.5.

After starting from the admin CD and selecting the appropriate tree, the appropriate ConsoleONE location, the appropriate SDD, and after going thru 88% of the "Checking Files" process, I am asked to insert the "Client CD" (I assume they mean the GW6.5 client CD that I downloaded) and click OK (which I do) to continue - which it doesn't. My only option is to finally click Cancel which aborts the installation.

We've downloaded the ISO 3 times, tried all 3 different CD burns, tried the install from a local copy AND direct from the Admin CD... even attempted the upgrade on different machines (in case there was "something wrong" with our CD player, or Win OS).

It stops on "Examing your system. Scanning files in "g:\grpwise\software\admin\util\gwcsrgen\"

Color me lost in yet another supposedly simple GW upgrade....

Thank You,

Did you download the GW6.5 Sp5 (or SP6) ADMIN/CLIENT cd? All the files are there that you need.. And you shouldn't have to burn it to CD. Just extract the files to your system. it's too big to fit once cd.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

The downloads I have are GW6.5 when it first came out (SP0?). Do I need to get to GW6.5 before I can install SP5 or is SP5 a complete installation going from GW6.0?

Thank You

P.S. Speaking of SPs, does each SP contain all updates from previous SPs or do I need to start at SP1 and load each one in order?

no they are complete

just slap the latest one on
i prefer not to install it via setup

i only update the .dc files in poa and mta
then run the agent installs against the server
i update console1 snaps as well

then update central ssd and then let it replicate to others

some folk obviously fins setup easier

Thanks terry,

Good info. I will get SP5 and try setup, but I may just end up using your method rather than setup; especially since 6.5 setup that I have gives me that "Client CD Needed" message that completely stops the install. I just had a couple of questions on your method: by "update" (.DC files, console1 snaps, ssd) you simply mean copy, correct? Are those the only 2 .dc files that need updating? There seem to be .dc files everywhere (in the PO directory, various places in the SSD, in the domain directory)? By mta .dc files you mean the ones in the domain directory? And the POA .dc files are the ones in the PO directory?

Thanks Again,

The part you are getting hung up on is really just copying files to the Software Distribution Directory. (You could skip that client problem if you unchecked the "Client" item in the list of components to update). Terry is suggesting that you skip that part and just manually put the files where they need to be in your system.

You would also be okay just installing GW from the SP5 distro. But keep in mind that there are a couple of .DC files (in the domain directory) that are not on the SPack cd and you ahve to get from the original. Keep that in mind and you should be fine. It's not very well document and can kick you in the rear if you're not aware of it.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

there was a really good doc somewhere
it was just a guy updating a collage system from 6.5 to 7
will see if i can find it

the principles are the same for all versions
well except from 5.2 to 5.5 but you aint gonna see that often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back