Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Can't open input device" on Ultrasparc II 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

gql

Programmer
Aug 2, 2006
US
I have this problem when booting the system after long time no use:

I power on the system, the screen flashes to ajust the resolution and shortly after I see the "Can't open input device" message. and the system hangs there. At this point, the system doens't respond to keyboard input. Does any one know how to fix this problem. I am new to this.

the OS version is Solaris 9. I can power on the system with the power key on the keyboard.

appreciate any help..

Thanks

qgl;

Try another keyboard. You will get this message if a keyboard is not attached, could be yours is having an issue. Yes it may sound strange but I have personally seen sun keyboards that cause all kinds of problems.

Also make sure that the cable has not been cut or damaged. Make sure the mouse is plugged in tight also. If the keyboard does not fix it swap out the mouse and see if that fixes it.

Or your mother brd could be having an issue with keyboard port.

Last resort do the following if your system is set to auto-boot when powered up.

Pull the keyboard all together. Power on the system , after post you will get a quick flash on the screen that says Can't open input device then your video will disappear and your system should boot ( if it still hangs at the Can't open input device you are not looking so good, the only thing I could suggest at that point is power off the box, hold down the stop and n key and power the system back on while holding the stop-n down, WARNING this will reset all nvram params to original setting so any custom settings will be lost). Then you should be able to telnet in, run eeprom and look at input-device and make sure it says input-device=keyboard, if not set it correctly, init 0 the system, power it off, plug in the keyboard and see what happens.

Thanks

CA

thanks, cndcadams, I will give it a try. Will try to get a keyboard from ebay. appreciate your help very much!!

your input/output settings might be set to other than screen/keyboard?

if you can get to the 'ok' prompt
maybe try

printenv <enter>

look for the input-device and output-devce, are they set to ttya? if so change them to what is below with the following commands

setenv input-device keyboard
setenv output-device screen
reset

if you can not get to 'ok'

you might want to reset your OBP settings to default, to do so,

1) power on system
2) hold down key sequence: <stop> <n> for 5 or so seconds

you should get a message on the screen saying settings were put to defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back