Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Cannot open user default database" !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

konglo

Programmer
May 18, 2002
HK
Hi everybody,

Recently I bought a notebook for developement purpose. I installed SQL Server 2000 as development database server. However, once I expand a database server, an error is reported - "Cannot open user default database. Login Failed.". How can I solve the problem without reinstalling the SQL server?

(Background: Initially there is no error. I created a new database and a new login in the beginning. Then I created a new user of this database and this login. However, when I assigned access rights of this database to this user, the system forced to change the user name as dbo instead of this user name. Then I removed this database and wanted to create this database again ... but this error occur at once.)

I need your help.

Regards.

Dear;

There are few things to be considered:

1- Please, tell us which Authentication are you using to login in SQL.

2- If you are using SQL Server Authenticatoin then try to login with "sa" and check the same problem.

3- Please, try to check this problem with the New Database of other new name which is not that was you created before.

4- If the default database for the system administrator has not recovered yet, or if it is marked as suspect, the upgrade wizard produces one of these error messages.

Please, check these things and give more explaination to us.

I hope it will work for you.

Regards,
Essa Mughal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back